Having a child with a chronic condition such as food allergies can create lots of strain in a home.
Many of us are fortunate to share the responsibility with a partner but keeping one’s relationship strong takes work. Lots of work! Today, Sue and her husband Kevin discuss eight core things they’ve done to maintain a healthy relationship while dealing with not only two food allergy kids but many additional relationship strains including cancer.
8 Ways to Maintain a Healthy Relationship While Raising Chronically Ill Children
- Give each other a break
- Know when to step in and do it
- Meeting spouse where they are in the journey
- Allowed the other to have a down moment
- Trust one another
- Make time for each other
- Have fun!
Want to find out what Sue and Kevin’s older kids feel about growing up in a food allergy household? Listen Here.
Additional Relationship Resources
- Save Your Marriage from Food Allergy Stress (Allergic Living, April 2014)
- How Food Allergies Affect a Marriage (and What You Can Do About It) (Reboot this Marriage)