“Guess how I spent my Mother's Day?” read the text Sue received from girlfriend Brooke.
Before looking at the picture, Sue immediately knew that it was the emergency room. Brooke's preschooler John was recently diagnosed with allergies to several nuts.
It's all a little ironic.
It is ironic because the two girlfriends recorded an episode weeks ago and talked about the fears related to having a newly diagnosed child. One of Brooke's concerns was strangely foreboding. She said, ” I am almost 100 percent sure that there is going to come a time when have to use that EpiPen and go to the emergency room.”
After several long phone conversations between the friends centered on the overwhelming feelings of being engulfed by a new food allergy diagnosis, Sue decided that the conversations she was having with Brooke were at the heart of what all new allergy parents crave. That is, gaining control over this overwhelming beast called parenting a food allergy child. So the ladies sat down weeks ago and addressed the top concerns that Brooke was experiencing.
Listen while the friends discuss the following common concerns of parents of kids with new food allergy diagnosis
- Overwhelmed feelings
- Getting up to speed on food allergy knowledge
- Family/friends not taking food allergies seriously
- Adjusting one's lifestyle
- Conflicting information
Articles Focused on Communicating with Food Allergy People
- Grateful Foodie – Caroline Moassessi – Talking With Others
- Allergic Living – Gina Clowes – Ten Things to Never Say to Someone with Food Allergies
- Allergic Living – Gina Clowes – 7 Ways to Resolve Food Allergy Issues with Family and Friends
About Brooke Gallucci
Brooke is a mother of two small children, John and Clare. She lives in Cleveland, Ohio. Her Midwestern sensibilities ground her in both her work ethic and parenting style. As a National Account Manager for a large publicly traded company, she has balanced her career with being a mother all from her home. Her approach to parenting is to build confidence, foster curiosity and encourage a joie de vivre.
Fun facts about Brooke:
- She once discovered a rare fossil and was published a Geological Magazine
- She followed the Grateful Dead
- She finds nothing plain about Vanilla Ice Cream (if made with true vanilla bean)
Don't forget to subscribe to the Parenting Food Allergies Podcast and follow the show on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!